Friday, February 28, 2014

Amsterdam Graffiti

Do you like graffiti?  Do you ever really look at it?

I have to admit, I never did.  All I tended to see was the ugly scribbling of nonsensical phrases & dirty words, and hate that someone had vandalized the side of a building or a bridge.

But I'm starting to have a different view on graffiti, or rather on well-executed graffiti, and can see it as pretty interesting art form.  Over the past 3 years, I've spent a lot of time traveling through Europe, and you tend to see a LOT of graffiti.  Especially in the older cities.  Lisbon was full of great graffiti.

I saw some interesting walls this past weekend in Amsterdam.......................

My 1st thought when I walked by was Venus De Milo, with the long, flowing red hair & the hearts.  Maybe this artist is in love!


And this was on the adjacent wall.  Together.  Apart.  And I'm not sure what he's saying about "her" (on the left), but I'm thinking they are now apart.


In a school playground.  It's better than a boring brink wall, right?




Making their escape out the window.  Funny!


I didn't realize until I looked at my pictures, but here's another piece by Mr. Venus De Milo.  I have started my own personal collection on Inkie's work!

 
 
Great piece.  I saw this wall after I had visited the Van Gogh Museum, and the picture does resemble Vincent a little, don't you think?  Or Vincent as a cowboy?  I wonder who it really is?


Ruby.  Looking at the signatures on the bottom right, I'm thinking "Juice" painted over "Darian's" work.  That doesn't seem cool. 


In the Jordaan district, next to a coffeeshop.  Wow!  There's a lot going on here.  What was your vision Fabrice? 


Original Spirit by Will Eisn (I think)......  I like it!

6 comments:

  1. I love it and it was beautiful in Lisbon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad. I wonder if any artists have started putting up graffiti in Pittsburgh? But it's probably been removed, and replaced with an ad.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love the graffiti. Inkie does love his red-haired woman, Fabrice is on a trip and the Van Gogh is a perfect rendition of Kirk Douglas as Vincent in "Lust for Life."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love graffiti "art", too! The one by Fabrice at the coffee shop is a Hindu god "Ganesh". The building to the left is probably a Ganesh temple? Not sure about the snake and the rodent, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, Allison! I was wondering. How very cool that it has a connection to your current "home".

      Love your blog!

      Delete