Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A solo Amsterdam weekend

Do you like to travel alone?  Have you ever tried it? 

I don't mean for work, and I don't mean doing the actual process of travel (by car, plane, train, whatever) by yourself.  I mean, have you ever tried taking a short trip or visiting a place for a day all by yourself? 

I know it's not for everyone.  Most of us like to be with people.  I do too.  But the beauty of traveling alone is that you can do whatever you want to do, when you want to do it, how long you want to do it, and you can change your mind as many times as you want! 

If you want to sight see, do it.  If you want to sit & read at a cafe and people-watch, go for it.  If you want to shop, or sleep in late, or eat room service, or go running, you can do it.



Personally, I love traveling by myself & I'm lucky that I can.  A few times a year, Pat has longer work trips that span across a weekend or two.  And since I'm in Russia essentially by myself when he's away these days, there is no point in my spending the weekend alone in my apartment.  Right?

So I went to Amsterdam this past weekend.  I love Amsterdam.  It's a great walking city, people are friendly without being "in your face", it's affordable and casual, and I've been their enough to know where to shop (Nine Streets is my favorite!). 


 


I stayed at the Hotel Okura, located in the Oud-Zuid (former south) region, which is close to the Museum District.  It was a great hotel - 4 restaurants, 2 bars, and an amazing spa (60 minute massage on Saturday!) and health center.  And it cost 1/2 the price of similar hotels that are closer to the city center.  I liked being in a real neighborhood, away from all of the tourists and away from the Red Light District and Dam Square.


The weekend started out a little gloomy.  Light rain and lots of gray



Making the morning commute in the rain on a bike would take some getting used to.



 





After a nice long morning walk, it was time for breakfast!
 


 






Lunch at Le Pain Quotidien, one of my favorite chains.  It's out of Belgium.  The Daily Bread.  I had one of their tartines with tuna, hummus, chickpeas, avocado.  So pretty




I like how the houses look almost identical from the outside, except for the color.



Great bridge design.....


Eww...  nothing like an outside urinal.  I'm not sure that I would park my bike next to it!


Saw this in a window.  Hint to Pat..............


The weather got progressively better throughout the weekend.  Finally some blue sky!

This reminds me of an IKEA picture that we have on our living room wall (EVERYTHING in our apartment if from IKEA).  In it, everything is black & white except for the red bike.


Rows of houses, rows of rooftop hooks for transporting items to the top floors.


The 1st crocus of the season....  I wish it was almost Spring!



I love this little outdoor seating area that someone set up outside their apartment.


I read that they estimate that there are 600,000+ bikes in Amsterdam.  And the population in the city proper is around 750,000.  That's almost 1 bike for every person


This is Johnny Jordaan square.  There is a little bar on the corner that I've walked by (and stopped at) many times.   Johnny was a well-known singer from the Jordaan district during the 1950's.  The other statues represent some of his band members.


They made a great Café Americano


A trip isn't complete without a walk through a market.  Because I was staying in a different part of town than usual, I needed to find a new market.  This one is called Albert Cuyp Market and is open daily.  It was a little junky for me, but the food looked good, especially the seafood.




If you've every tried to get vines to grow how you want them, you know that it's not so easy.  I like that the vines on these houses are just shy of taking over & being too much.


Glad to see that they don't use ropes and pulleys anymore.  Automation!


An afternoon smoke.......


Lunch #2.  Another open-face sandwich.  This time with warm goat cheese, apples, almonds, and greens on brown bread with a little drizzle of honey.  Oh, and a Leffe.  Delicious!


A walk through the park.



It was recess.  What a great climbing tree!  Do kids in the US still climb trees or has it been officially banned?


I read that there are at least 2,500 houseboats in the city of Amsterdam.  They so intrigue me.  I'm not sure if I could live on one. 

Nice patio



Who says you can't garden on a houseboat?



My favorite of the bunch.  The sign says "De balans van de natuur geeft inspiratie voor creativitiet"  You don't need to know Dutch to translate that




On the morning before I left, I walked along the Amstel River.  These two guys were also out for their morning workout


   

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Jen, once again your photos are great. You definitely have the "eye." I thought of your apartment print when I saw the bike and canal photo also....like yours better. Please send me a goat cheese and apple tartine !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can send you what I think was the recipe!

      Delete
  2. Amsterdam is Europe, Once again I'm jealous . Short trips alone seem very peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love catching up with you through pictures, Jen. Your travels are amazing. (Maybe second only to the yummy foods you get to consume!!) Miss you! xoxox -betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aunt Jen! Its me Kara. I can't imagine what it was like in the beautiful place with Nazi soldiers on the corners of the streets. I was wondering if you are in to WWII... because I am! I can't believe people lived in house boats! You are sooooo lucky you went to Amsterdam! Ever since I read Anne Franks diary I'v wanted to go there. Love you, Kara😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kara!!! I'm so glad you like my blog.

    I loved reading the Diary of Anne Frank. I need to read it again now that I've been to her home town several times.

    ReplyDelete