Friday, July 26, 2013

Gloomy Weather, but it's Navy Day (Weekend)

Where did the summer go?  I guess we were lucky to have a great June and 1st half of July.  But for the past week, there has been no sun & it has barely hit 60.  It's supposed to improve.  I hope so - we only get 3 months of good weather, and I'm not ready for summer to be over.

The city is gearing up for Russian Navy Day.  On the last Sunday of July, several navy ships show up in the city and dock along the Neva River.  You'll normally see some of the ship crews walking around the city.  On Sunday, they will have a parade of ships & fireworks, and I believe you can also tour one of the larger ships.

But the day is probably better known for a large number of Russian men who wear navy & white striped shirts ("uniforms") and drink throughout the weekend.  Drink a lot!!!  Some are former military, most are not.  It can be quite the scene.

I took these pictures right outside of our apartment.  The gray day matches the gray ships.  Unfortunately, we will miss the weekend events because we are leaving for vacation later today (YEA!!!!!!).


I walked by these guys and they asked me where they could get a beer.  I was proud of myself that I understood the question, and that I could actually tell them (in Russian) where to go!




British flag on the front (bow?) of the boat





These boys looks like they may be up to no good!

Cool statue of Peter the Great, appropriate with the boating theme. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you for being able to direct those fellows to a beer ! All of those Russian lessons are paying off.

    ReplyDelete