Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Images from Easter Weekend

Thursday April 17th - 1st day of the year without a coat (a blazer doesn't count).  The earliest in 3 years. 
 

New shoes from Berlin!


One of several interesting buildings on Millionnaya Ulitsa, or Millionaire's Street.  The street was named after the many Imperial families who once lived along this stretch of the city prior to the Russian Revolution.  It's a little run down these days, but there are still a few nice building and upscale apartments.

 
Tulip bulbs near our apartment.   Flowers should be soon
 



 
 
 
Crocuses in bloom in the park!



Posing with Peter......
 

Horseback riding in Palace Square.  You see horses & carriages in a lot of European cities (and NYC), but I always find horseback riding in the city a little odd.

 
I baked a pecan tart for Easter.  Total improvisation, with some puff pastry (I think) that I found in a market, cane syrup and vanilla that I bought in Finland, hand-crushed brown sugar cubes (because I couldn't find "loose" brown sugar, and pecans that I smuggled in my luggage from Memphis.
 
But it was good and a hit with our guests!  And the leftovers disappeared in 10 minutes at the office
 

 
I had to use the leftover scraps for cinnamon sugar cookies.  Doesn't everyone do that with leftover crust scraps?
 

Saturday April 19th - our 1st beer outside for the year.  A group of Germans to Pat's right, Italians (not shown) behind him, and Russians everywhere else.  It was a multi-cultural beer break
 

A selfie by the Church on Spilled Blood.


Reflections on the canal

 
 
A bike race?  Or just an organized biking team ride?  It was impossible to tell, but I love seeing more bikes in the city.
 

There were a lot of interesting people participating


Including a scary clown

 
 
 

3 comments: