Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Weekend in Zurich

Winter is starting to get on my nerves!  It's the 3rd week of March, and we are still only in the low 20's as a high, single digits at night, snow on & off most days.  Enough already!!

Pat & I needed a break a few weeks ago, and we were able to meet up in Zurich Switzerland for a quick weekend getaway.  The weather was nice (low 50's, sun, no rain), especially when I compare it to what I left in Russia.  We could walk around in just a light coat & actually sat outside for a beer on Sunday afternoon.  Just what I needed!

Zurich is not the capital of Switzerland (it's Bern).  But it is the financial center, and as such is home to many international companies, lots of hotels & restaurants, and great shopping.  It's also very clean & easy to get around.  In being an international business center, there are lots of expats everywhere - the official language is Swiss German, but most people speak some English.  The only downside is that it's expensive!   

A view of the west side of Old Town, and the Limmat River which flows into Lake Zurich.  The large clock tower is St. Peter's Church.  More photos of the church if you keep reading......

St. Peter's Church ( St. Peterskirche), one of the four main churches in Zurich's Old Town district.  Originally established in the 8th century, the current church was build in 1706.  I read that it has the largest clock face in Europe (8.7 meters in diameter).


The rectory for St. Peter's
Grossmünster, or "Great Minster" - one of the other 4 main churches in town.  Located up on a hill on the left side of the Old Town center, it can be seen from many locations throughout the city.  Construction was completed in 1220.  The Grossmünster was a monastery church and according to legend, it was founded by Charlemagne. 

A set of bronze doors on the church
A bakery!  Too bad I gave up sweets for Lent
I'm not sure what this building along the lakefront is or is used for, but I liked how it glowed during sunset
The Zurich Opera house at night.  We didn't go;  maybe next time......

The Grossmünster at night
It was a great night for a walk to dinner, and walk home along the Limmat River


On Sunday afternoon, it was in the mid 50's with no rain or wind.  In my world, that's a beautiful Spring day!  So we spent the afternoon walking through a park that skirts around Lake Zurich.  Oh yeah, and we drank beer in the park's beer garden.

Great view of Lake Zurich & the mountain range just south of the city
Green grass!!!  I SO miss it

No coat!!!  Cold beer!!!
Lake Zurich must not freeze in the winter (??).  Lot's of water birds were out for a swim
me

We stayed at the Hotel Ambassador a L'Opera. It is located right in the town center, near the Opera House & very close to the lake (Lake Zurich).  It was an older hotel, but it had everything we could have needed & the location was great.

We bought a new camera last week.  I'm hoping it improves the quality of my pictures on future posts.  If it doesn't, I guess the photographer is to blame.....  


2 comments:

  1. Oh, what camera did you buy ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing compared to your collection! We upgraded slightly to a Canon IxUS. Much better zoom & functions, and I can still carry it in my purse.

      Delete