Monday, April 29, 2013

Pussywillow Sunday

Just a short post today.  Our Spring is very slowly approaching.  It's so deceiving, because the sun is bright at 6am, but it's only 34F and barely hits 45F during the day!

Highlight of the weekend was that it was Pussywillow Sunday for the Russian Orthodox church.  Similar to Palm Sunday, but you obviously can't find palms in Russia (or Eastern Europe).  Pussywillows, which begin to bloom right around Easter (Пасха or “Pashka” in Russian) , symbolized triumph and victory, just like palm trees did in ancient Palestine.  We were able to buy some pussywillows in the market:



In honor of the day, we should have tried to honor the fast that the orthodox followers adhere to during Lent.  It's a very strict, vegan diet.  But no, instead we went to a pub and ate this enormous platter of sausages:


I'm working on a post of my trip to Koryazhma for later this week.  In the meantime, I thought the sight of the ice breaking on the Vychegda River at dusk was beautiful

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Great shots, Jen -- I'm really enjoying reading your posts! Hang in there. Spring has finally arrived in Pittsburgh, and can't be too far behind for you!
    xox -betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy. I saw my 1st crocus of the season, so Spring can't be too far

      Delete
  2. Beautiful shot of the river ice, Jen. Dad is hoping I'll prepare him a plate of sausage just like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your blog, Jen! I loved the story on the parking situation. Remember parking chairs back in the Burgh?
    Also, the restaurant you and Pat went to for his birthday (Happy belated birthday, Pat) is right down the street from where my friends used to live. I'll have to try it on my next trip to CPH in a few weeks.
    Talk to you guys later and hope the weather breaks soon!
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still know how to jam a meter! And South Side parking was always the best.

      Cool that you have friends in Copenhagen. Enjoy your trip,

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pics, love the Pussywillow and the Plate behind them. Thanks for posting Jen it's pretty cool to
    share your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The plate is from Turkey. Tell Jess congratulations for me

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vegan vs sausage? I'm with you guys....serve up the meat! Cool ice pic.

    ReplyDelete