Friday, April 5, 2013

Images from the Week

Just a few pictures from the past week.......

Temperatures are finally starting to warm up, with highs in the mid to upper 30's.  Since most of the sidewalks are at least passable, we took a walk on Easter weekend.

Church of Spilled Blood


me

Other than celebrating Easter with some work friends, the big highlight of the week was the opening of a new Belgium beer pub within walking distance from our apartment!!!! Great beer list, and we snacked on some very Russian bar snacks - smoked cheese & deep fried rye bread with garlic dipping sauce.  Trust me, it's delicious & addictive!


I've been in Svetogorsk working for most of the week.  The town is a 3 1/2 hour drive north from St. Petersburg, a mill town & a border town (Russian - Finnish  border).  Not a very exciting place! 

BUT, I did attend a dinner at the local sauna.  If your not aware, saunas (or баня (banya) in Russian), are serious business in Russia (along with the Scandinavian countries & much of Eastern Europe).  Most Russians go to the banya several times a year at a minimum, with many doing it weekly or even daily.  They go for the health benefits, but it's also very common to go with a group of friends or colleagues to chat, conduct business, or just socialize.

This was a work dinner, but I think some of the men stuck around afterwards to enjoy the sauna.  Needless to say, I did not.  I've been in a sauna while in Russia, but I haven't done it "Russian style" as an group event with others :).  Maybe I need to add that to my list of "things to do in Russia"? We'll see.........

The Svetogorsk Banya

Dinner with the mill guys

Robes for the evening festivities!

 Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I already ate all of the smaoked gouda you and Pat gave me for Christmas. Can we make it an annual tradition.

    Was the red robe for you ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure who the red robe is for. Very Russian that it is red - maybe Vlad?

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen,

    Was reading your blog and it is really interesting. Will try to keep in touch so you don't get too lonely.

    Uncel Robin and Aunt Betty

    ReplyDelete