Wednesday, November 12, 2014

It's London!


'It is my belief, Watson, founded upon my experience, that the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside' - Sherlock Holmes

I am a BIG Sherlock Holmes fan.  Especially of the books, but also of the old movies, and definitely (I must admit) of the current BBC series.  I love Benedict Cumberbatch!  I'm anxiously awaiting Season 4, but I sadly will have a long wait (late 2015 or early 2016)

Anyway, onto my update on our weekend trip to London.  One of the greatest cities if you ask me.  And no, we didn't spend the entire weekend inside one of these


We walked around a lot.  One of my 1st big walking trips since I broke my ankle.

Big Ben!


I have to say, that phone was really slimy


Lots of walks through the parks.  It was perfect Autumn weather.  Below is St. James Park

A scene while walking through Green Park


Buckingham Palace - we just missed the changing of the guard


That kid just wouldn't move


A great view of the city in the back, also from St. James Park


Birds



Check out those feet!


A few more shots of Westminister Hall (the Parliament building) and the Big Ben clock tower



Westminister Abbey



The Wellington Arch, in Hyde Park Corner.  A victory arch to commemorate Britian's victory over Napoleon 
 
Carnaby Street.  Great for shopping and......
 
 Near one of our favorite restaurants - Wright Brothers.  A great raw bar and seafood place!


We didn't mess around.  The large platter and a large bottle of Norman Cidre.  That scampi was a large as my hand!


But no challenge for Pat & I

 
Another park.  Lincoln's Inn Fields, which is said to be the largest public square in the city of London (In Holburn, in the Borough of Camden)


It was a 70F afternoon - lots of people hanging out in the park (and playing hooky I would imagine)


Blah bah blah......Conference call time!


So I amused myself taking pictures


Lincoln's Inn is one of 4 Inns of Court in London.  The barristers of England and Wales must belong to one.  These inns have supervisory and disciplinary responsibility over their members. They also provide libraries, dining facilities, professional accommodation, a church or chapel, and a self-contained precinct for training & practice




At one time, many of the city's barristers lived nearby.  The homes and apartments are still very striking 



I couldn't resist.  Doesn't everyone have a fascination with Scotland Yard?


Christmas????  Yes, we saw many signs of Christmas already.  Here at Covent Garden Market



Real bacon for breakfast.  A Bacon Butty for Pat, and Eggs Benedict for me


On Saturday morning, we walked to Borough Market, near Tower Bridge.  A LONG walk (the Underground was closed for the weekend)


We didn't visit it this time..... The Tower of London


Because we were more focused on the market!  We shared a sandwich with greens and apple chutney (as well as the creature below).  Cracklings included!


Borough Market was enormous & extremely busy.  On a Saturday, I'm not sure how people could effectively buy groceries.  But the selection was amazing








 
Lunch on this day was a Sherry & Cheese tasting, at Neal's Yard Dairy.  Outstanding!


We smuggled home a few our favorites in our luggage


And finally, drinks at the Savoy


Great weekend!

 

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, London ! That's a spectacular photo of the Tower Bridge. I love the look on Pat's face when the seafood platter was served. Heaven !!!

    ReplyDelete