Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Images from the Week

 
Hello from Russia!  Nothing too exciting to share with you this week!  It was a pretty quiet and typical week over here - I worked, I traveled to Svetogorsk for a few days, I came back home for a really quiet (but relaxing weekend).
 
So here's a few pictures
 
This is Svetogorsk!  The location of our IP paper mill, a town of around 15,000 people in the Northeastern corner of the Leningrad Oblast.  1 kilometer from the Russian/Finnish border, it has been part of Russia since 1944.  The town was founded in 1887 when a paper mill was built there by the Finns.  
 
That's about all that can be said!  Not exactly a hotbed of fun & excitement.  In my new job, I have to travel to the mill a few days each week.  It's a painful & rough 3 hour car drive on really bad roads.  I should own stock in Dramamine considering how many I've taken in the past 3 years. 
 
 
Other than work, this is where I spend all of my time.  The Svetogorsk Hotel.  Or as we call it "Sveto Hilton".
 

 
Our company owns the hotel.  And as an American manager, I get to stay in the luxurious 5th floor.  We have our own bathroom with running water!  Steam heat from the mill!   And a comforter that I immediately throw onto the floor once I get settled.
 

Plus a whole separate sitting room with flat screen TV (although there are only Russian channels, so I tend to watch a lot of music videos).

In all seriousness, It's not that bad.  It's clean, it's safe, and the restaurant downstairs makes a mean Chicken Kiev with fries, which is ALWAYS a safe choice.

 
A view from my room
 
 

Another view.  Not much more to say about it.  Except that I think I'll be watching a lot of videos on my iPad this winter on my trips to Svetogorsk. 


 
 
Back in St. Petersburg for the weekend, I got some nice nighttime pictures one evening after work.
 
 
The Bronze Horseman.......
 

 The Senate Building


They really do a great job lighting up the city buildings and monuments.  It helps make my quiet walks home much more comfortable


1 comment: