Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Birthday in Paris

"Paris is always a good idea" - Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina


We went to Paris for the weekend to celebrate my 40-something birthday.  The weather wasn't perfect, but it didn't rain, so I'm not complaining!

I love just walking around Paris with no set agenda.  It's an easy flight for us, so we've been here a few times & there's no pressure to try to see everything because we'll be back.  And believe me, I know I'm lucky to be able to say that.

 

Notre Dame from the front


and the back .......



We spent most of this trip on the Right Bank.  And took a long walk one morning around the Louvre and Tuilleries Gardens


Irises in bloom




Babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



The Louvre Pyramid.
 If you know me, you know that a trip to the market is a must.  And I get terrible market-envy!  It's my dream to live near markets like this:




Pat checking out some cheese. 



Rotisserie chicken (and other birds) are hugely popular at these markets. 


We stayed near the Opera house in the 8e in the Hotel Scribe. 

The Opera House

La Madeleine, a Roman Catholic church in the 8e

me
 One evening, we went to a jazz club called Sunrise Sunset.  We've been there a few times & love it.  Great music, great atmosphere.  It's in the 1e, in a very busy neighborhood.  And every time we go, we seem to have dinner at a local cafe that is right across the alley from this bar called the Bear's Den.  If you aren't sure what a "bear" is, I'll let you look it up :)

lot of "bears"
It was a packed house for the show

In a lot of cities with pedestrian bridges, you'll often see a bridge with"love locks", where lovers attach a padlock to "lock" it forever.  I thought this bridge was interesting.  See the black hearts?  Each heart is for a victim of domestic abuse and has a scancode.  If if you scan it with your smartphone, you can directly support a victim and help "release" them. 


J'aime Paris à tout moment de l'année!

8 comments:

  1. If you ever live by a market you will have your father living with you .

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your mother ! Love the "bears."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you both liked the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jen. Great pics again. Was in NYC last October and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. They were close to a complete removal of all padlocks as they'd been deemed 'unsafe' (I guess weighing down the fencing??). There was a sign that said that any leftover locks would be removed as of some date but would be kept in a museum somewhere. Bizarre. Clearly the Dept Of Transportation there in Paris isn't worried about the weight.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn. I think they do actually cut off the locks every few months. But they quickly replaced with new locks!!!

      Delete
  5. Hello Aunt Jen... its me Kara. Your sooo lucky you got to go to Paris! The buildings there are amazing! When I saw the picture of the Notre Dame it reminded me of a song I play on my clarinet. Love u! Miss u!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aunt Jen... its me Kara. Your sooo lucky u went to Paris! Iv always wanted to go there! The buildings there are so amazing! The Notre Dame reminded me of a song Im playing on my clarinet called Notre Dame Victory March. Love You...Miss You!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kara! Paris is one if my favorite places! You would really like it.

      Delete